Pages

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Donairs To Die For!!

This recipe was sent in by my good friend Sandra Ramsay of Novia Scotia!! Thank you very much Sandra!

There will be an a link on the left side of the page called "International Recipes" If anyone else would like to send some of their favoite recipes send them here or to my email suelaponsie@yahoo.com




3 pounds lean hamburger
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp pepper
3 tsp cayenne red pepper
2 tbsp oregano
3 tsp paprika
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp salt

Try this recipe. I like mine spicy so I use more cayenne pepper.

Mix all of the ingredients together.
If you have a food processor or even and electric mixer, take about a third of the mix and process it into a smooth blend. This will be the binder for the loaf.
Press it into a loaf pan. I usually put some weight on it and leave it in the refrigerator over night. This helps with the texture and also lets the spices infuse.

Cook for around 2 hours at 300F. Chill and slice into thin strips

For the sauce:
2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder

This will make a nice garlicky sauce.
The amount of vinegar may vary. I usually mix the evaporated milk, sugar and garlic powder and then slowly drizzle the vinegar in while mixing. I stop adding vinegar when the mixture has thickened. Let the sauce get cold.

in a tin foil pan, first layer bottom with crisp golden cooked fries...next pile on the sliced meat....then cover in diced tomatoes and onions....load on mozza cheese and bake just til cheese is melted...
Then top with cold sauce....
Its heavenly!..I keep adding sauce as I eat it.

the other alternative is the donair alone which is the meat, tomatoes, onions, cheese and sauce in pita bread...I prefer the plate though!

Enjoy!..Its nearly impossible to make them as good as they do in Nova Scotia take outs...but its very close!...lol...

1 comment:

  1. Your very welcome Sue!....NOw hurry up and make it...IM hungry!...lol..Ofcourse I could go less then 5 minutes up the road and order one!..lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you and have a great day!