Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's For Dinner Tonight?? Steak In A Sack

I fell in love with these many years ago.  When I was in my early 20's there was a restraunt called Issacs, the owner being Issac Batson. He was originally from Iran I believe? I would usually stop there every morning for breakfast on my way to work.  (He opened early)

Well as time went by he kept trying to talk me into ordering some of his strange homeland food,  like Gyros, Falafels and his famous Steak in the sack. So I did once a week try something unusual, but I did not care for any of them until I ate The Steak In A Sack!
After much hem hawing he finally gave me his recipe, so I was then able to make these special sandwiches. My whole family loves these, I'm sure you will also.

What you need:

2 med. onions
1 pk. fresh mushrooms
2 peppers sweet peppers
1/2 head iceberg lettuce
Sliced swiss chesse
Mayo
Pita bread
1 1/2 # lean beef
salt, pepper, season salt and Cumin

First chop up all your veggies, nice and thin, rings for the onions, strips for the peppers, and slice the lettuce thin, this is the hardest part of this whole dish!


Slice your lean beef into strips also.

Add a little evoo to the pan, add the meat, also add salt and pepper to taste along with season salt. Sprinkle 1T of cumin on top of that, you may add more later if you wish.

Add all of the veggies on top of that and let cook on med heat until beef is done and veggies are soft.


Add the sliced swiss cheese and let melt, almost ready to serve!


Slice pita bread and microwave each piece before preparing for 10 secs each, or they will rip, if you are not careful they will anyhow, just becareful! Open up the pocket and spread mayo on each side, fill the bottom half with shredded lettuce, spoon in meat and Wah La It's dinner! Add veggies or fries to make this dinner complete!

Delish!

We went back to Issacs a few years ago only to find out he had passed away, this saddened me greatly, I knew him for years!  I am thankful he gave me this recipe.

11 comments:

  1. Yummy! I haven't even had breakfast yet and you are making me thing of dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it certainly could be lunch also!! =o)
    Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am all ready for bed and I see this!
    Drool. drool!...
    I know what Im having for dinner one day next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Sandra it's soooooooooo GOOD!! Let me know how you like it =o)~

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you did post it mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked at Joyserv for 10 years and ate these often. Was thinking of them today and in my search for the recipe came across your site. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so very welcome, hanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  8. What type of seasoning salt do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. t's a smart thought to shake the compartment ​a multiple times to ​mix the marinade. ... Porch Grill with the flame broiling container raised and terminated with Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. Can you use an electric smoker in the winter?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you and have a great day!